Tuesday, December 29, 2009

For those of you interested in the Disney Princesses (or twisted versions of them) you should check out this guy's blog: http://jeftoonportfolio.blogspot.com/2009/02/twisted-princess.html
It is really quite strange, but it's well worth the trip through cyberspace to see it.
On another note I was reading through Moonlight & Vines by Charles deLint, a collection of his short stories, and the first... chapter, I suppose you would call it, was either a poem or lyrics (or both) that I particularly enjoyed, so for your reading pleasure:

Sweetgrass & City Streets

Bushes and briar,
thunder and fire.

In this ceremony
that is night,
the concrete forest
can be anywhere,
anywhen.

In the wail of the siren
rising up from the distance,
I hear a heartbeat,
a drumbeat,
a dancebeat.

I hear my own
heart
fire
beat.

I hear chanting.
Eagle feather, crow's caw
Coyote song, cat's paw
Ya-ha-hey, hip hop rapping
Fiddle jig, drumbeat tapping
Once a
Once a
Once upon a time...

I smell the sweet smoke
of smudge sticks,
of tobacco,
of sweetgrass on the corner
where cultures collide
and wisdoms meet.

And in that moment of grace,
where tales branch,
bud to leaf,
where moonlight
mingles with the streetlight,
I see old spirits in new skins,
bearing beadwork,
carrying spare change and charms,
walking dreams,
walking large.

They whisper.
They whisper to each other
with the sound of talking drums,
finger pads brushing taut hides.
They whisper,
their voices carrying,
deliberately,
like distant thunder,
approaching.

Bushes and briar...
-Wendelessen


There now, wasn't that nice?
I would like to make it clear that this doesn't belong to me, I only own a copy of the book in which I found it. It belongs to whoever wrote it; possibly Charles deLint, possibly Wendelessen.

Nighty-night, my dearest readers. Dream well, of drums and thunder, of bushes and briar, the smell of sweetgrass on the city streets, of tales changing like growing trees. Dream well, my dearest readers; dream of moonlight and vines.

No comments:

Post a Comment