Thursday, March 31, 2011

Ghost Girl; Chapter 1

Chapter 1: Prologue
When I was a kid, I wasn't totally human. I don't mean that every full moon I'd turn into something hairy and go terrorize the countryside. I mean that I never could identify with people. I'd try really hard, I tried until the point where all my classmates would avoid me because all I'd do was annoy them.
I didn't understand why the girls in the class laughed at me, pointed those perfectly manicured fingernails at me and called me 'tomboy', which turned into 'lesbian' as we grew older. I learned the meaning of tomboy and tried to act accordingly, tried to fit in with the boys, tried to make a friend, like my parents told me to. At least the boys didn't laugh. They didn't even notice me.
Eventually I stopped trying. I stopped talking. I was a model student, the teachers loved me. Always does homework, aces all the tests, doesn't talk or goof off in class. Wish we had ten more like her. I always laughed to myself when I heard that, I wouldn't wish this outcast life on anyone. Even the other outcasts made friends among themselves, but none would talk to me. I'd given up after a year of trying, finding books better friends then anything that walked on two legs and looked like me.
My only solace through those years were the woods behind my house and the stables where my parents worked, not even twenty feet for where we lived. We had a pack of mismatched dogs: a border collie (Gyp), a jack russell (George), an old basset hound (McGee), a greyhound (Tigger), four mutts that had too many breeds to properly tell which was which (Kadie, Lira, Spot, and Terror), and a bull terrier (Whisper) we'd found on the side of the road one year with a broken leg that never did heal right. She could give anyone a run for their money though, and for all the bad hype about her breed I'd never heard her growl, not even when George tried to steal her food. As soon as my homework and chores were done I was out the door, racing Gyp and Tigger, the rest of the pack trailing behind us through the woods. I fit in better running through the woods with my pack then I did sitting inside all day, scribbling notes for something I'd never use.
So the summer my parents announced that we were moving there wasn't much for me to miss. Took us a week to get packed, all my books, all the dog toys and beds, all my parents knick knacks, everything we'd ever owned packed away in boxes in the back of a mover's van. It was my 14th birthday, June 16th, when we reached our new home, on the outskirts of a town so small that I doubt it had a tick mark on a map. Big house as well, provided by my da's employers. Ma'd started her own business, making websites and magazines for different companies. The first morning we were there me'n the dogs were out of the house, before Ma or Da could get me to help with the unpacking. There were woods about ten feet from our backdoor, seperated from the house by a stretch of manicured lawn that already had a few holes in it from George and McGee's explorations the night before. We disappeared into the woods, hunting for new sights and sounds and smells to replace the ones we had left behind.
I remember that summer, because it was the summer that changed everything, starting from the second I met him.
((Just to be clear, this is a fictional story. Bits and pieces are probably based off real life, but the idea mainly goes to a manga called 'Say I Love You'. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it. Leave me a comment or two!!!))

No comments:

Post a Comment